Tools to stop the stigma
- Talk openly about your own mental health and any challenges you face, either in the past or ongoing.
Not sure how? Watch Garvin’s video about his experience as a Correctional Officer.
- Educate yourself and others — learn more about mental illnesses and their effects.
CMHA Myths About Mental Illness
- Be conscious of your language – don’t use words like “psycho”, “mental”, or “schizo”, or say demeaning things about people with mental illness in conversation – and challenge others who do.
- Don’t avoid people with mental illness.
- Be open and supportive if someone talks to you about their mental health.
- Make discussions and information about mental health visible in your workplace.
Read more about how stigma works and how we might prevent it.
Opening Minds Together Against Stigma