News & Events
Virtually Out of My Mind with Big Daddy Tazz
Tuesday, June 29, 2021
Fearful, angry, sad, worried, frustrated, exhausted, or just plain blah -- many of us have struggled with our mental health throughout the pandemic, both at home and at work.
As a way to kick-off summer 2021, we invited MGEU members and their families to join local comedian and mental health advocate Big Daddy Tazz for "Virtually Out of My Mind" -- providing big laughs, straight talk, and a chance to check in with each other.
Ride Don’t Hide
Ride for you. Give back to your community.
About the Event
This June, the Canadian Mental Health Association's (CMHA) Ride Don't Hide fundraiser aims to get us all moving, giving back, and feeling better. Funds that MGEU teams raise through pledges will be matched by the union (up to $25,000) and be invested directly back into workplace mental health initiatives where those members live.
How to Register a Team
- Recruit members in your workplace -- friends and family are welcome as well! -- to be part of your team. A team of ten is ideal, but a few members more or less works fine, too.
Go to Ride Don't Hide and click on the "Register Now" button.
- Choose your community (note: Winnipeg includes all of southern MB, including Brandon).
- Create your account and choose a team name that includes "MGEU" so all funds raised will be matched by the union and directed towards workplace mental health in your area.
- Pick an activity that makes you feel good -- cycling, walking, yoga, gardening, you name it.
- Set a personal and team fundraising goal.
- Direct your team members to where they can register under your team name (note: each team member can pick any activity they like).
- Challenge each other to get moving, log hours, and collect pledges!
Questions? Please contact the MGEU Resource Centre.
Wear Red Wednesdays
First Wednesday of every month
Let's all wear red in support of Healthy Minds at Work!
When we think of health and safety at work, we most often think of physical safety. But we shouldn't stop there.
The MGEU's Healthy Minds at Work campaign aims to bring our mental health into focus as well.
Our employers are responsible for creating workplaces that protect and promote our mental health -- and it's time we started working together to make our psychological health a priority.
On the first Wednesday of every month, show you care and help us continue the conversation about the importance of psychologically safe workplaces.
- Wear something red to work;
- Wear a Healthy Minds at Work pin, lanyard, mask, badge holder, or stick-on tattoo;
- Spend some time on this website and learn more about how to be mental health advocate; and
- Share the campaign with others in your workplace and online with a 'Wear Red Wednesday' selfie and tag it with #HealthyMindsAtWork #WearRedMGEU
Contact the MGEU Resource Centre to request pins, lanyards, masks, badge holders, or stick-on tattoos for your Local.